One pot meals are pretty much the gold standard in my kitchen for weeknight dinners. Chicken thighs and roasted potatoes are pretty much my husbands gold standard when it comes to eating. Everyone is happy with this easy to adapt, make ahead meal. Pure Gold!
- 3 lb's. chicken things *skin on and bone in
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. crushed or finely chopped garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning or all purpose seasoning
- 1 large yellow onion, diced into large pieces
- 1 1/2 lb. baby potatoes, diced in half
- olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- Preheat over to 375 F.
- In a medium sized roasting dish, place chopped onions and 3/4 of the potatoes. Add in the garlic and herbs. Drizzle with 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. of salt. Mix to coat. Move the potato and onion mixture to the sides of the pan, leaving a small rectangle in the middle for the chicken thighs.
- Trim excess fat off of the chicken thighs and lightly slice the top of the skin.
- Place in the middle of the pan and coat with excess oil and herb mixture from the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of salt.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the potatoes for the kids. Place remaining sliced potatoes on a baking dish and coat with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes, until crispy. Serve immediately.
- If the potatoes and onions are not as crispy as you would like them, remove the chicken from the pan and place the pan back into the oven at 400 F and roast for another 10 minutes. This can be done when the adults/less picky eaters are ready to eat. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top of chicken when ready to serve.