While on a recent mom and son double date to the Central Park Zoo, I was reminded why I should make more quiche. As the four of us sat down to watch the sea lions at the end of a long morning with two toddlers, my dear friend Olivia proceeded to seamlessly pull out of her Celine cross body two pieces of quiche, wrapped perfectly in parchment paper and an eco friendly warmer, for the boys to snack on. This day, like so many others, reminded me how this French mama makes everything from her mother-ing to her weekend wardrobe, look effortlessly styled and perfectly put together. This also reminded me that the French know best when it comes to cooking, especially eggs. The quiche is a versatile, healthy and hearty dish that takes minimal effort and is a great way to get a veggie loaded meal on the go or a beautiful brunch for a bunch.
- 1 round pre-made, frozen pie crust (I love the 365 Day Brand vegan version from Whole Foods)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese + more for sprinkling on top
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large leek
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. agave
- 1 cup packed fresh swiss chard leaves or another leafy green of your choice like spinach or kale
- To Garnish: chopped basil and more cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, and salt.
- Prepare the leek. Cut off the top green area and cut the white part in half. Clean out the insides with water and then dice into very thin pieces. Dice the onions into small 1/2″ pieces.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil on medium/low heat. Add in the onions and stir to coat. Allow to cook down for 3 minutes. Add in the leeks and stir to coat. Continue stirring as they cook for another 3 minutes. Add in the agave and then coat. Turn down to lower heat and cook until tender and caramelized, about 7 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the leafy greens. Add the swiss Chard or other leafy greens into the saute pan and stir together. Take off the heat and allow to cook completely.
- meanwhile, pre-bake the pie crust int he oven for 6 minutes. Take out and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the greens mixture into the eggs mixture and combine. Add into the pie crust and then top with the tomatoes and the additional cheese.
- Bake for another 25 minutes or until cooked through. This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Cover and freeze for up to 3 weeks.
- When ready to serve prepare the avocado toast. In a small bowl, crush avocado with a fork. Juice in 1/4 lemon + pinch of salt. Stir. Toast the bread. Spread onto the toast and top with hot sauce and the chia seeds.