These double chocolate brownies are fudgy and thick, topped with delicious caramel sauce, making them extra decadent. Because they are so thick and dense, you’ll want to serve warm and with ice cream or additional sauce to balance out the intense chocolate (in the best way possible).
Double Chocolate Brownies with a Caramel Swirl
- 12 oz. of high quality bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups AP or cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 stick of butter or 12 oz. of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup caramel sauce, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a deep, medium sized baking dish, like a glass pyrex, coat with cooking spray or butter. You can line the bottom and sides of the pan with a large piece of parchment paper. Make sure to part of the paper coming out over the edges for easy removal.
- On the stove, heat a small pot filled water. Place a medium sized metal bowl on top, so that it balances over the hot water but doesn’t touch it, and add in the chocolate chips. Stir with a wooden spoon occasionally until it melts, forming a sauce like consistency. Take off heat and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the blade attachment, place the butter and sugar in the mixing bowl. On medium speed, beat until it forms a thick, yellowish dough like consistency, about 5 min. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Once the butter and sugar have finished mixing together completely, keep on low speed and add in the chocolate sauce and the vanilla extract. Allow to mix in completely. Stop to scrape the bottom of the bowl again.
- Turn back on and add in the eggs one by one, allowing each to mix in before adding in the next one. Again, stop the machine and scrape the bottom of the bowl.
- Turn back onto low and add in the flour mixture, working in small increments. Once completely mixed in, turn to medium speed and allow to mix. Stop the machine and scrape the bottom, ensuring there aren’t any unmixed ingredients at the bottom. Mix again until well combined.
- Place into the greased or paper lined baking pan. Smooth out the top and add in 1 cup of caramel. Using a knife, spread evenly throughout.
- Place in oven and cook 30 minutes. Turn and cook another 20 minutes. Check to see if the middle of the brownies are cooked through. If not, continue cooking in 10 minute increments until they are.
- Allow to cool and then serve. Top with caramel sauce and serve with ice cream.