A little heat and a lot of flavor make these slow cooked, pulled chicken burritos a much requested dinner dish. Not just because they are a delicious mix up to your normal taco Tuesday but because they are pretty hands off for the chef de cuisine, ie YOU. The chicken cooks itself to pulled perfection in the oven with just a few Mexican spices and simple ingredients to give you one bomb burrito. I love the Roasted Red Pepper salsa for the top because it’s light, citrusy, and sweet compared to the rich and deep flavors of the chicken. Pull it all together with your favorite taco and burrito fixings and you’ll make sure no one you know ever goes back to Chipotle.
- Pulled Chicken: 1.5 lb boneless and skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of all excess fat
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced into 1/2
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock + more for cooking
- salt and pepper
- Roasted Red Pepper Salsa:
- 2 large red peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 juiced orange
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 4 scallions, diced
- Additional Ingredients for Burrito: Rice and Beans, Grated Mexican Blend Cheese, Avocado, Sour Cream, Additional Veggies of your choice
- Flour Tortillas or Soft Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Once hot, place the red peppers in the oven until blackened on all sides, about 15 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, make the chicken. In a large crock pot or sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the chopped onions and allow to cook down for medium-low heat.
- Once onions have softened add in the spices: cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, paprika. Stir to coat the onions and allow to cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and allow to continue cooking for 1 more minute until caramelized.
- Add in the chicken thighs, stirring to coat with the mixture.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
- Cover and place in oven until the chicken is tender and can easily ve shredded with a fork, about 1 hr. Stir occasional to censure it is not burning and there is enough liquid to cover the chicken. If the liquid seems low, add in more chicken stock.
- Take out of the oven and shred with a fork. Cover and place on the side.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the roasted red pepper salsa and other items for the burrito.
- Salsa: Dice the roasted red peppers and combine with the remaining ingredients;, scallions, juiced 1/2 orange, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 juiced lime, salt and pepper. Place on table to serve with burritos
- Let’s make the burritos:
- Lay the flour tortilla flat on a clean work surface. On the half of the burrito closest to your body, add on the rice and beans and then pile on all other ingredients.
- Fold in both sides of the tortilla until they are touching the ingredients and then roll the middled onto the other side, tucking it under tightly to keep it together. Place into a roasting dish or cast iron skillet. Continue to make until you fill the dish.
- Top the burritos with cheese and bake for 10 minutes until melted and cooked through.
- Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa and fresh avocado.