Funfetti is fun. It’s, like, the definition of fun. Our layered ice cream cookie cake is not messing around with how fun it is. This is the cake to bake when you want a Momofuko birthday cake but also want a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. It’s kind of like the love child of two geniuses. It can get messy but don’t let that deter you. The messier the more fun she is. So, make it, snap a pic, and then enjoy the #*&^ out of it.
Layered Funfetti Ice Cream Cake with a Funfetti Cookie Crumble Topping
- 2 boxes of Funfetti cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Toppings: Colored icing, sprinkles, maraschino cherries
- Optional: organic food coloring if you want to add color to vanilla icing
- Special Equipment Needed: 2 Cake Pans + Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Using one of the boxes of funfetti cake, make two 9″ cakes according to the back of the box. Take out of oven, cool for 10 minutes, pop out and cool further on a rack.
- While cooling, make the cookies with the other Funfetti mix. Mix the funfetti cake mix with 1/3 cup vegetable oil and 3 large eggs. This should form a dough. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and back cookies at any sized you’d want. You will have about 8 cookies left over. The rest will be crumbled up for the cake.
- Place in oven to bake cookies for 10 minutes. Take out, allow to cool, and then crumble about 5-8 cookies for topping and to surround cake on serving plate.
- Using the same two 9″ cake pans, measure out a piece of parchment paper the size of the pan plus 2 inches more on all sides. Crumble up parchment paper and then line the pan. The paper should be coming over the sides. Take the 2 ice cream flavors out of the pint boxes and into separate bowls, allowing it to melt slightly so it’s malleable. Place into the molds and spread across to form a single layer. Put back in freezer until ready to assemble.
- Assemble Cake: Using a sharp cerated knife, cut off the thin browned sides of the cakes so you can see the inner funfetti. Then stack layers as cake + ice cream + cake + ice cream + cookie crumble. Place back in freezer for 5 minutes to ensure the ice cream hasn’t melted while assembling.
- Clean up and decorate the cake. Take out of the freezer and decorate with cake frosting and sprinkles on top as desired. Once the ice cream has begun to melt again slightly, using a spatula, carefully smooth out the sides of the ice cream layers, taking off some if need be.
- Put back into the freezer until ready to serve.