These decadent caramelized fruit and homemade granola parfaits are one of my favorite brunch party or dessert dishes for a special occasion. The homemade almond and coconut granola is addictive and adds that perfect crunch to this sweet special breakfast treat or dessert. The banana fosters is made simple with coconut and brown sugar and the apple is caramelized with maple for some serious fall flavor. Served with yogurt with ice cream, this is a sweet treat for any get together.
- Homemade Almond Granola:
- 2 cups whole grain oats
- 2 Tbsp. high quality almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. apple pie spices or ground cinnamon
- Dairy Free Banana Fosters:
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. apple pie seasoning or ground cinnamon
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- Caramelized Maple Apples:
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced into thin piecs
- 1 Tbsp. butter + 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. high quality maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract + 1 tsp. ground cinnamon + 1/2 lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Let’s make the granola first.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together all of the ingredients with a wooden spoon. Make sure you work it so the almond butter spread throughout the mixture but know that it will be sticky.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the granola out into one even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until it is browned and crunchy. Check it after 15 minutes and flip the pan to avoid some spots cooking more than others. Cool. Use up desired amount for the parfaits and then place remaining granola into an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Let’s make the caramelized fruit:
- Dairy Free “Banana Fosters”: Over medium/low heat, in a small sauté pan, heat the coconut oil until for 30 seconds. Add in the brown sugar and allow to melt down, stirring. Add in the sliced bananas, vanilla extract, and apple pie seasoning (if you don’t have apple pie seasoning just add in ground cinnamon). Stir and coat. Allow to cook down for 2 minutes and then add in 1/2 lemon, juiced. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn, until it thickens and caramelizes, about 7 minutes. Take off heat and allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Caramelized Maple Apples: Over medium/low heat, in a small sauté pan, heat the butter and coconut oil. Add in the maple syrup and stir. Add in the apples, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon and stir together. Cook over medium low heat for 3 minutes. Once it begins to thicken, add in the 1/2 lemon juiced, and stir. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn, until it thickens and caramelizes, about 7 minutes. Take off heat and allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, layer the fat free Greek yogurt, caramelized fruit and granola in nice serving dishes. I like to do glassware because you can see the layers and an open champagne coupe or other large beverage cup make for a nice display.
Try these parfaits with your favorite ice creams, whipped cream, puddings, or just about anything else you like to layer.