Spice up your mid week meal with these make ahead Garam Masala Meatballs with am addictive roasted tomato and pepper sauce that is fragrant with Indian spices. These are perfect for a cocktail party spread or served along side an Indian dinner party spread. Every piece of this meal is baked for minimal dishes at the end of the cooking and less time over a pan. I pack them full of winter greens because there is no better way to hide a little extra dose of vitamins than in a meatball. Make GF by using GF breadcrumbs or opt for no bread crumbs at all.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Garam Masala Spice Mixture (Found in your grocer's Spice Aisle)
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juiced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped ginger
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 cups of fresh swiss chard, or winter greens of your choice
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Dipping Sauce
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Let’s get the sauce started first.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread out the whole pepper, tomatoes, peel garlic, peeled shallot in a single layer. Roast for 30 min. until charred, checking every 10 minutes to see if any of the items have been browned and roasted.
- Meanwhile a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients. Mix until well combined. Using a medium sized ice scream scoop, scoop into muffin tin or line a baking dish with balls. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, until browned on top and cooked through.
- Once the sauce ingredients have all browned and roasted, take out and allow to cool slightly. Take off the skin to the roasted red pepper. Take off the top core of the tomatoes.
- Put all of the roasted sauce ingredients into a food processor or a blender. Blend together until smooth. Add in the lemon juice, garam masala spice mixture, and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Taste. Add in one Tablespoon of olive oil and any other seasonings you wish at this time and blend again for 15 seconds.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with the hot meatballs.
** You can serve on a bed of lettuce for an appetizer, over rice for a main dish, or over pasta for a spin on red sauce Italian meatballs.