The original dynamic duo, food bffs, a must-have staple in your cooking arsenal. This is a simple homemade sauce and balls dish can be on the tables in just about an hour.
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large pinch of salt and 2 grinds of pepper
- olive oil for drizzling on top
- Simple Tomato Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can of pureed tomatoes
- 1 package of spaghetti, cooked according to the package's instructions
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Assemble meatballs: in a large bowl combine all ingredients. Mix together with your hands. Shape into large balls about 2 inches across. Place into a glass baking dish, lining the balls up so they touch. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 12 minutes until partially cooked through. Take out and reserve on the side to be cooked the rest of the way in the sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add in onions and cook until translucent, 7 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, celery, red chili flakes and garlic. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Add in tomato paste and stir, cooking for 3 more minutes. Add in the can of tomatoes and stir, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the meatballs, cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- When there are 20 minutes left with the meatballs and sauce, heat a large pot ¾ of the way full of water, and cook pasta.
- Once finished, drain and place pasta on a platter or in a large bowl. Carefully take out the meatballs and place on top of pasta. Ladle the sauce on, top with cheese or garnish with fresh basil.