These whole wheat banana – coconut chocolate chip mini muffins are light, low calorie treats for an on-the-go breakfast or mid-day snack. They are easy and quick to make and give your normal banana nut muffin a slight upgrade with the addition of coconut, honey, and lemon zest. Make ahead for a healthy way to feed the family all week long or for a super fast brunch treat.
Whole Wheat Banana Coconut – Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg
- 3 ripened or overly ripened bananas, smashed
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- To Top Muffins:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tsp. turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a mini muffin baking pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas up with a large fork. Add in the vanilla extract, egg, melted coconut oil, and honey. Mix together. Add in the brown sugar.
- Add the bananas mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Using a spatula, mix together until it becomes a cohesive mixture.
- In a food processor, pulse the coconut flakes with the turbinado style sugar.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, add one scoop per muffin tin.
- Top each muffin with a couple of chocolate chunks. Then top with the coconut flake mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Check to see if they are browned on top. If not browned on top, turn up the oven to 375 and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Take out and allow to cool. Serve once cooled or store in an air tight container for up to 1 week. You can also freeze them in an airtight container for up to 1 month.