When I’m in a dinner rut, looking for something delish, but want to keep the calories low, I usually pull out some Mexican spices and flavors and get to work. This slow cooked, shredded chicken is made with lean breasts and plenty of Mexican spices to keep lots of flavor without any added fats. Serve it as a slider for something new (and cute) at a cocktail party, stuff it in a taco for dinner, or fancy up a rice bowl. The options are endless but the chicken is addictive so make sure you’ve got enough for everyone because there will be seconds served.
- 1 lb. of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 medium white onion, diced into 1/2
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. canned adobe chipotle peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely mined
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 - 28 oz. can of tomato puree
- chicken stock, as needed
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 10 slider buns
- Topping Options:
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Cole Slaw
- Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large, oven proof pot, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the diced onions and coat with oil. Allow to soften and become translucent.
- Meanwhile, get all of the spices and brown sugar together and mix into a small bowl.
- Add in the spice mixture and stir to coat the onions. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the chopped adobe chipotle chili and the garlic. Allow to cook for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar, scraping up all of the caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan. Add in the chicken and allow to cook down until half of the vinegar has evaporated.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and stir, making sure the chicken is completely covered. If not covered, add in a small amount of chicken stock.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 hrs, or until the chicken can easily shred apart.
- Take off the heat and allow to sit and cool for 10 minutes. Transfer into a bowl, shred with two forks.
- Chicken can be cooled and covered and kept in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- Once ready to serve, re-heat in a small pot, adding in additional chicken stock if it looks dry.
- Serve with crispy slider buns and toppings of your choice.