A truly Turkish delight! These healthy, marinated chicken kebabs are mixed with Middle Eastern spices for a flavor combination that is both interesting and aromatic but not overwhelming. Serve with our lemony tahini fat free Greek yogurt for an extra element of flavor, or just eat the dip with pita.
- Marinade for Chicken:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ yellow onion, sliced into ½-inch pieces (for topping on chicken)
- Lemony Tahini Greek Yogurt Dipping Sauce:
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley + chopped parsley for garnish
- za' atar seasoning, for garnish
- Za'atar seasoning is one of the best spice mixes to have on hand that can add great flavor to dips, chicken, and fish. Find it at your grocer's Indian or Middle Eastern section or the spice section.
- In a large bowl, mix all marinade ingredients together. Add in the chicken that has been cut into 3-inch cubes. Marinate for 1-2 hours or make the day before in order to throw this meal together in no time day of a party.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the dipping sauce ingredients except the za’atar seasoning. Stir and taste. Season with salt and pepper if need be. Reserve in refrigerator until meal. Once you’re ready to serve, sprinkle liberally with the seasoning.
- Preheat the broiler to high. Once chicken is done marinating, thread onto skewers. Place chicken onto a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Top the chicken with the raw onion strings.
- Broil on high for 5-6 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through.Take off and cover with foil to let sit. Put the tray back into the oven and allow the onions to cook further, for about 3 more minutes, until slightly charred. Place onions on top of chicken and then sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
** These kebabs can be grilled instead of roasted if you’d like. They can also be made before serving, refrigerated and then reheated in a 400° F oven for 3 minutes. Perfect for a dinner party entree.