Okay we’ll admit that this recipe requires some steps, and some patience. But we have to say that Matthew Kenney’s Sword Leaf Stunner will definitely make the vegans at our table and the non-Vegans alike feel that we were looking out for them. Make this when you want to feel like a gangster in the kitchen.
- For The Salad:
- 4 medium heads sword leaf lettuce or romaine hearts
- 2 cups scarlet frill or purple mustard greens
- ½ cup currants
- Pinch of salt
- For The Coconut Dressing:
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- Curry Cashews:
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cashews
- Carrot Puree (list of ingredients in instructions)
- Radishes (Daikon) and Apples (of your choice)
- Make the cashews 1 day before serving: Mix coconut sugar, curry powder, salt, and water in a bowl. Add cashews and stir to combine. Spread cashews on dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees for 10 hours or until completely dry.
- Make the salad: Add sword leaf, mustard greens, currants, and salt to a large bowl.
- Make the Coconut Dressing: Place vinegar, agave nectar, fennel, cardamom, and salt into a high speed blender and blend to combine. Add coconut oil and blend at the slowest speed to emulsify.
- Make the Carrot Purée: by combining the following ingredients in a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients except the oil until smooth. Drizzle in oil while machine is running at slowest speed to emulsify. Pass through a strainer.
– ¼ cup carrot juice*
– ¼ cup cashews, soaked for
– 1 hour
-½ teaspoon curry powder
– 1 teaspoon agave nectar
– 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
-½ Thai chile, seeded and minced
-¼ teaspoon sea salt
-¼ cup olive oil
5. Radishes and Apples: Using a small melon baller make as many balls from the radish and apple as you can.
6. Assembly: Toss the salad with half the dressing, adding more if needed. Spread about a tablespoon of Carrot Purée across each serving plate with an offset spatula. Then arrange a good handful of dressed salad greens on top. Evenly divide radish and apple balls among servings and sprinkle with cashews.
* For Carrot Juice: Juice about 2 medium carrots using a vegetable juicer .