The cast-iron skillet baked brownie is as popular as Cher Horowitz and for good reason. The skillet creates a fudgey, moist brownie that should be served piping hot, topped with your favorite accessories like ice cream and more chocolate. Using our favorite brownie batter, from Ina Garten (why reinvent something that’s pretty much perfect?), but made it into a hybrid s’mores delight. Because the only thing better than melted, gooey chocolate is the addition of crunch and some marshmallows.
S’mores Cast-Iron Skillet Brownies
- Adapted from our favorite brownie recipe ala Barefoot Contessa:
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. AP flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- S'mores Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 cups marshmallows
- 1 cup crushed up graham crackers
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- To Garnish:
- Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Sauce, and crushed up graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Let’s make Ina Garten’s Brownie Batter:
- Heat 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and the 2 oz. of unsweetened chocolate together in a medium heat-proof bowl set over simmering water just until the chocolate melts. Stirring periodically to ensure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t burn.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee powder, vanilla, and sugar.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled down, incorporate into the egg mixture and set aside.
- Meanwhile let’s make the s’more’s component of the brownie. In a small saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons butter. Once melted add in 2 1/2 cups marshmallows. Stir until completely mixed together. Set aside. (You may have to reheat to give it a sauce-like consistency once adding this to the brownie batter, as described below.)
- In a food processor, pulse 2-1 graham crackers (or 3/4 cup of already crushed up)+ 1 Tablespoon butter into a sandy, clumpy mixture. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together ¼ cup of the flour, the baking powder, 2 Tbsp. baking cocoa and salt and stir it into the chocolate mixture.
- On the bottom of each cast-iron skillet, place 2 Tablespoons of crushed graham cracker mixture. Carefully spoon the brownie batter into 4 mini cast-iron skillets (click to buy), using a spoon to ensure the batter covers the entire area of the skillet. Add in 1 Tablespoon marshmallow mixture and swirl around with a toothpick or fork (reheat marshmallows mixture over low heat or for 20 seconds in the microwave if stiffened).
- Place all 4 of the skillets onto a baking sheet. Bake for 22 minutes. Ina warns, DO NOT OVER BAKE! Test by putting a toothpick into the center of each and it should come out clean.
- Serve immediately topped with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and crushed up graham crackers.