This Italian stuffed chicken is a one pot dish braised in a simple pork infused tomato sauce. I love how decadent it seems when serving but how easily it comes together. Impressive enough for a make ahead dinner party main or a simple mid week meal for the family.
Swiss Chard and Mozarella Stuffed Chicken Braised in Spicy Soppressata Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb. of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch of fresh Swiss Chard, blanched and chopped
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- Braising Sauce:
- 4 slices of spicy soppressata
- 1 small white onion, chopped into 1/2
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp. dried Italian spices
- 1- 24 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blanch the swiss chard: bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the Swiss Chard leaves (removed from the stems) into the water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and run cold water over the chard immediately. Ring out all of the water. Chop into very small pieces.
- Slice the ball of mozarella into 8 thin pieces.
- Place the chicken in a single layer on a wooden cutting board. Cover with a long piece piece of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin or a meat mallet, pound the chicken until it is a 1/2″ thick.
- Sprinkle breasts with salt and pepper. Place two thin slices of cheese into the middle of each chicken breast. Divide the swiss chard evenly among the chicken and place on top of cheese. Using toothpicks, fold the chicken in half and close with the tooth picks.
- Prepare the sauce ingredients. Dice the soppressata into very 1/2″ pieces. Dice the onions and garlic as well.
- In a deep oven proof skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium low heat. Add in the soppressata and cook, stirring around, until it begins to crisp and down. Scoop out the meat and place on paper towel and reserve on the side.
- Add in the onions and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and herbs. Stir and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, scraping up all of the bits that have caramelized on the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken, stuffed side up, into the ssauce. Add in a couple of Tablespoons of water if the sauce doesn’t cover 3/4 of the chicken breasts.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take out and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve with crispy soppressata and parmesan cheese.