We believe that there is really no reason to buy store bought tomato sauce. It’s way better tasting and better for you when you make it yourself. Make a bunch of this and save for another night later in the week or freeze for later in the month.
Simple Tomato Sauce
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce (found in the grocer's same section as the crushed tomatoes)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced into very small cubes
- 1 carrot, shaved and roughly chopped into small cubes
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning (can be found in your grocer's spice section)
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- to season: salt and pepper
- Prepare all ingredients by chopping onions, carrots, and garlic.
- In a small or medium-sized saucepan with a lid, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, garlic, and seasoning. Continue to cook on medium-low heat for 7 minutes, stirring.
- Add in the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir, scraping up all bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Place lid on and allow to cook over low heat for 30 minutes. It should be gently simmering during this time. Stir occasionally to ensure it isn’t burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Place into a food processor or blender. Blend together until it forms a smooth consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Save the tomato sauce in an air tight container in the refrigerator for one week or freeze and keep for four weeks.