This is one creamy soup that is low fat, dairy free, gluten free, and full of amazing roasted flavors. Curry spices jazz up some of my go to winter veggies, roasted and cooked to creamy perfection, without the cream, of course. I love adding hints of citrus and fruit to a rich veggie soup to amp up flavors and give a bit of natural sweetness.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. curry spice mix
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, diced into 1/2
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp curry spice mix
- 1 large apple, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized orange, juiced
- 2-3 cups of vegetable stock or 1 cup vegetable stock and 1 cup lite coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 435°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel and cut the squash into evenly sized large chunks.
- Spread the squash pieces onto the covered baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil or coconut oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. granulated garlic and 1 tsp. curry spice mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, until the pieces are lightly browned and soft when cut with a knife. Reserve.
- In a medium sized sauce pan or pot, heat 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. Add in the diced onions and stir to coat. Allow to cook down on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened. Add in the carrots and continue to cook.
- Add in the ginger and the curry spice mixture. Add in the peeled and diced apple. Allow to cook down, caramelizing the flavors for another 5 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups vegetable stock of your choice. Feel free to add in 1 cup vegetable stock and 1 cup coconut milk for a creamier version. Cook for another 10 min.
- Transfer the mixture to a vitamix or blender. Blend until smooth, adding in the orange juice more or coconut milk if it seems too thick.
- Add in the cooked squash and continue to blend. If the blender is too full, take out half of the carrot mixture and reserve.
- Mix all blended soup together in a container and season with salt.
- Serve immediately, store in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, or freeze in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks.