This Vindaloo Curry Meatballs Recipe is one of those classic Indian dishes that is a great “beginner” sauce recipe for those who don’t usually cook Indian. The spice mixture is fragrant, full of amazing flavors, and is perfectly paired with sweet coconut milk. Hands down, one of the most delicious mid-week meals I make (ahead of time) that everyone, I mean everyone, loves. You’ll probably never want regular old Italian meatballs again. No, not really, but maybe.
- Pork Vindaloo Meatballs:
- 1 lb. organic ground port
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Vindaloo Curry spice mixture
- 1 tsp. salt
- Vindaloo Coconut Curry Sauce:
- 1 medium onion, diced into 1/2
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
- 1 small poblano pepper, diced into 1/2
- 2 Tbsp. Vindaloo Curry spice mixture
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes or canned tomato puree
- 1 - 14 oz. can of lite coconut milk
- Serve with....
- Lentils of your choice
- Grains of your choice
- Sautéed Veggies of your choice (I like sautéed onions, peppers, and greens)
- Let’s first make the meatball mix. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the pork meatball ingredients. Stir together until it is a cohesive mixture. Make 1″ meatballs (I prefer to use my hands) and then place in a baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- Place meatballs in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Take out and set aside while you make the lentils and sauce.
- Let’s make the sauce. In a medium sized sauce pan, sauce 1 Tbsp. coconut oil and 1 tsp. olive oil. Add in the chopped onions and stir until well coated. Allow to cook down and soften over low heat, about 7 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, fresh ginger, and fresh garlic. Stir and allow to continue to cook over low.
- Add in the tomato paste and the vindaloo spice mixture. Stir to coat the veggies and allow to cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, stir and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add in the coconut milk and stir.
- Cover and allow to simmer over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes. Check the sauce periodically so that it does not burn on the bottom.
- Once the meatballs are finished, drop them into the sauce and allow them to cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover until the rest of the meal is ready.
- Prepare the lentils as directed. In a small skillet, sauce 1 Tbsp. coconut oil and add in the veggies of your choice. Allow to soften, covered over medium low heat, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the veggies and the lentils once finished.
- Serve the meatballs, covered in the sweet Vindaloo Coconut sauce, with a side of the lentil – veggies.