Use our corn and basil pesto in combination with sweet and spicy sausage for a new take on pesto pasta. Yum-O-Rama.
Corn and Basil Pesto Pasta with Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage
- 1 cup of our corn and basil pesto
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet Italian sausage, de-cased and meat removed
- 1 large spicy Italian sausage, de-cased and meat removed
- 1 small yellow onion, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roasted and then cut into small cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 – 2 ½ cups Farfalle pasta
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmigiano Regiano
- To Garnish:
- basil, chopped
- Make our corn and basil pesto.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Roast pepper: On a sheet tray, drizzle olive oil on the pepper. Put into the oven and roast until skin is browned and coming off of flesh, about 15 minutes. Once roasted, put into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, steaming for 15 minutes (this helps flesh come off the skin). Once cooled slightly after steaming, eel off skin and cut into ½-inch or 1-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, make pasta according to box directions. Reserve with ¼ cup cooking liquid, in case you need to add to pasta sauce at the end for moisture.
- In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil. Brown sausage meat cooking through, 8 minutes. Remove and reserve on the side on a paper towel.
- In the same pan, sauté onions until translucent, 5 minutes. Add in red bell peppers and sauté until incorporated with onions, 1 minute.
- Add the sausage back in and warm everything together. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, until they are cooked through, almost breaking down, but not quite.
- Add in pasta and then the pesto. Stir to combine. If the mixture looks a little dry, add in the reserved pasta cooking water, a tablespoon at a time, making sure not to over water.
- Once your sauce consistency is good, take off heat, put into bowl, and top with cheese and fresh cut basil.