Frittatas are one of the easiest, most bang for your buck brunch dishes that can be quickly put together before guests arrive. I love to use any fresh veggies I have on hand and almost always include a savory, spicy sausage or chopped up bacon pieces to add a little crunch and kick to the dish. This is a go to for the spring when Ramps are in season but can easily be adaptable to any kind of seasonal ingredients.
- 4 large Italian Sausages, sweet or spicy depending on preference, meat only, casings removed
- 1/2 white onion, diced into 1/2
- 1 large bunch of spring ramps (if available)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups spring spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese, I like a blend of cheddar and colby
- 7 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or cream (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. high quality butter
- Special Equipment: 2 medium sized cast iron
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop and prep all of the ingredients.
- For the ramps, cut off and discard the very bottom part with the roots. Clean completely.
- For the bottom white/pinkish parts, dice into small pieces. Put aside. Roughly chop the green parts and put aside separately.
- In one of the cast iron skillets or oven proof skillets, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Add in the sausage meat and cook over medium heat. Allow to brown and release all of the moisture. Once browned, take out and reserve.
- Add in another 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the diced onion and the white parts of the ramps. Sauté on medium/low heat, stirring, until they soften.
- Add in the peppers and continue to stir and allow to soften, another 5 minutes. Add in the spinach and allow to cook down, another 3 minutes.
- Take out of the pan and allow to cool. Meanwhile, clean the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the eggs, salt, and milk, about 2 minutes.
- Put both cast iron skillets onto burners, over medium heat. Add in 1 Tbsp. butter into each skillet and allow to melt. Coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add half of the egg mixture into one skillet and then quickly spoon in half the sausage and veggie mixture. Top with 1/2 cup of Cheese.
- Repeat in the other skillet.
- Add both skillets into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until it is completely set (does not move if you jiggle the pot) and it is beginning to brown on top.
- Take out of oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve straight from the pan.