Perfectly crisped, cheesy chicken parmesan in one cooking dish. The cast-iron skillet creates the perfect crust and ensures the baked Italian classic comes out moist and full of flavor. This is an all time crowd pleaser.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs (use gluten free if desired)
- ½ tsp. dried Italian Seasoning (found in your grocer's spice section)
- 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 egg + 1 tsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. flour, for dusting chicken breasts before breading
- 1 ½ cups of our Simple Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella cheese or 1 package of shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Make our Simple Tomato Sauce (add in recipe link here)
- On a cutting board, place the chicken breasts, cover across the top with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound chicken until it’s ¼-inch to ½-inch thick. Take off plastic wrap, discard.
- Season each chicken breast lightly with salt. Lightly dust flour on both sides, ensuring it sticks by rubbing with your hand.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning mixture.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together 1 egg with 1 teaspoon water.
- Bread chicken by first coating it in the egg mixture, then coating it with the breadcrumb mixture. Set aside on a clean cutting board.
- In one or two cast-iron skillets (depending on the size of yours), heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Once pan is very hot and you can see ripples in the oil, add in the chicken. Brown on both sides for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Take out of pan and set to the side once browned.
- Turn off heat and wipe clean the skillet with a paper towel.
- Place chicken back in the skillet. Top each piece with approximately ¼ cup tomato sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and top with mozzarella, thinly sliced if using the ball, or sprinkle with shredded cheese if not.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes to ensure the cheese isn’t burning. If it’s getting browned, cover with aluminum foil and continue cooking. If you want your cheese extra crispy, once the chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, turn on broiler to high and cook for 15-30 seconds under broiler.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on the side and garnished with basil.