Remember how you said you wouldn’t eat Taco Bell anymore? Serena Wolf and The Dude Diet have you covered. These tacos are everything you’re craving, without mystery ingredients.
- 1 ½ pounds 90 % lean ground beef
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce (sometimes labeled “tomato puree”)
- 1 cup water
- 12 whole grain corn taco shells (or whole grain tortillas for those that prefer soft tacos), I like Bearitos and Garden of Eatin’ brands
- For Serving:
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce (Romaine hearts are also great.)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- salsa of your choice (optional)
- Combine all the spices and salt in a small bowl. Place this bomb seasoning mix by the stove for easy access.
- Heat a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the ground beef to the pan. Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring and breaking up the meat into very small pieces with a spatula or wooden spoon, until completely browned. Drain the meat in a mesh colander (just like pasta, dudes) to get rid of excess grease. Wipe out your pan and return it to the heat.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir in the spice mix. Cook for 1 minute to toast the spices. Stir in the tomato sauce and water and bring the liquid to a boil, then lower to a simmer, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Spoon the meat into taco shells and garnish with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and salsa (if using). Live Más.
This recipe is from Serena Wolf’s Dude Diet Cookbook. Buy it now here!