Fried rice. Perhaps the ultimate comfort food. How could we possibly make it better? We were curious. We went in search of an answer. And we found it: Kimchi.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ lb. ground pork
- ½ medium white onion, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups cooked short grain brown rice (preferably cooked one day prior)
- 1 ½ cups kimchi, roughly chopped into medium bite-sized pieces
- 2 eggs, whisked together
- ½ tsp. chili sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 scallion, chopped, for garnish
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil. Once heated, add pork and cook, stirring constantly until meat begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add in white onions and sauté with meat until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cooked rice, stir to mix. Add in kimchi and then the egg. Stir, mixing into rice, essentially scrambling it into the rice mixture.
- Add in the chili sauce, soy sauce, and oil. Cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat, incorporating flavors.