Full of greens, baked to fluffy perfection, this hands free rice pilaf is the perfect party side. People will love the colors, bright tangy and nutty flavors, and you can make it way ahead of time or just stick it in the oven during cocktails for a pipping hot side dish that tastes like you’ve been slaving over the stove.
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1-1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced into ½-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups unsalted chicken stalk
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 10 stalks of asparagus, ends cut off and then sliced vertically into 1
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup dried fruit, such as dates, cherries, or cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1 lemon, zest + juice
- Garnish: parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In an oven proof, medium sized sauté pan, heat 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the chopped onions. sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the butter, allow to melt. Add in the rice, stirring to coat with butter. Allow the rice to toast for 3 minutes, while stirring.
- Add in the grated ginger, garlic, and the chicken stock.
- Cover and place in the oven for 35 – 45 minutes, until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is softened when tasted. Meanwhile prep all other ingredients. For the asparagus, cut off ends and then sliced vertically into 1″ pieces
- After 35 minutes, take out, add in the vegetables. Cover and return to oven. If it looks very dry, add in a little more chicken stock.
- Bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Take out, add in the zest and the lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add in the parmesan cheese if using.
- Reserve until you’re ready to serve. You can store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Once ready to serve, warm up in the oven, if its cold. finely chop the dried fruit. add in the dried fruit. Add in the fresh Italian Parsley. If you’d like, top with more parmesan cheese. Serve warm.