Salads do not have to be boring. We repeat: Salads do not have to be boring. This one is tangy and zesty and will make you feel like you’re those things, too. Because you are!
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1 ½-inch slices
- 1 large leek, washed and thinly diced white and light green parches only
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups fresh arugula, roughly chopped, or baby arugula if you can find it (it's just a little smaller so easier to eat)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced into ½ pieces
- Tangy Cumin Yogurt Dressing
- 1 Tbsp. fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. dried cumin
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Wash, peel and cut the carrots into 1 ½-inch slices.
- In a bowl, mix together olive oil, cumin, and salt. Add in the carrots and mix to coat evenly.
- Place onto a covered baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the leeks. Cut off the large top stem, all the way down to where it begins to turn light green. Slice down the middle and clean under water, making sure there is no dirt residue. Place on a cutting board and slice into half moon shapes.
- Put cut leeks into the same bowl from the carrots. Add in another drizzle of olive oil and little cumin. Mix to coat.
- After the carrots have been cooking for 10 minutes, take out, put leeks on top and mix together, spreading the mixture into a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Put back in the oven for 7 more minutes. They should be nicely roasted, but not blackened. Take out and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a small to medium-sized bowl. Mix together, taste and season. Add more oil or honey if it is too tangy for your tastes.
- On a platter, place the arugula and top with the carrots/leek mixture. Dice and top with avocado.
- Sprinkle with dried cranberries and serve with a drizzle of the dressing on top and the sides. Give guests options to add more or less dressing.