There are two things that make this a little more than your run of the mill tomato soup: goat cheese and balsamic roasted tomatoes. The combination of the two make for a little bowl of red deliciousness that is creamy and deeply rich without butter or any cream. The finishing drizzled of homemade spicy basil oil makes this a dinner party worthy dish.
- 1 lb. roma tomatoes, cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 oz. goat cheese + more to top if desired
- ½ cup basil, roughly packed
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Slice tomatoes, add into a large bowl and mix with the oregano, garlic, vinegar, salt, onion, and 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Mix together, covering all tomatoes with olive oil.
- Spread tomato mixture onto a covered baking sheet in one layer. Bake for 35 minutes in oven until the mixture is darkened and aromatic.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the basil for 30 seconds. Add in the olive oil and pulse again until it forms a thick green oil. set aside.
- Once the tomatoes have nicely browned, add into a blender. On high, blend for 2 minutes, until it forms a soup. Taste and add in salt and pepper as needed.
- Add in the goat cheese and blend another 30 seconds. Reserve until serving.
- Once ready to serve, reheat in a saucepan and serve with a drizzle of the hot basil oil and dollop of goat cheese.