Puff pastry and goat cheese, the gift straight from the heavens. Flakey and buttery dough puffed to perfection with melted cheese and tomatoes. It’s like pizza. It’s like grilled cheese. It’s like everything you ever wanted.
- 3 packages of 6 frozen puff pastry mini tartlets (available in your grocer's frozen food aisle) or 1 package of frozen puff pastry
- 1 large 8 oz. soft goat cheese log
- ½ cup ricotta cheese + 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced into ½-inch squares
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning (found in your grocer's spice section)
- balsamic vinegar, to garnish
- basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Defrost the puff pastry.
- If using the pre-made tartlets skip this step. If you bought the full puff pastry sheets, spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Cut the sheet into 3-inch rows and then into 3-inch columns. This should give you little squares. Pop them into the muffin tin and refrigerate until ready to put into the oven.
- In a small skillet or sauté pan, sauté the onions in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil until translucent. Add in the garlic and Italian seasoning, stir, and continue cooking on low for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Take off heat and allow to cool.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Reserve in a bowl mixed with a large pinch of salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the onions, goat cheese, ricotta cheese, and parmesan cheese. Add in 1 teaspoon salt. Mix until a smooth consistency.
- Take out the puff pastry tartlets, add in a small spoonful of cheese/onion mixture. Then top with 1/2 of a cherry tomato.
- Put in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the pastry dough has puffed up and browned lighting.
- Optional: drizzle with very small amount of olive oil or balsamic vinegar and top with basil.