Almond, fresh herbs, and spinach make for a thick vitamin packed pesto that can be used on toast, in pasta sauce, on top of fish, or mixed into meatballs. And it’s no secret we love a sauce with vibrant colors that is as delicious as it looks. There is a thicker consistency in this pesto because of the fresh spinach and almonds, making anything you add it to a little more decadent.
- 1 packed cup of spinach
- 1 1/2 cups fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup almonds or pine nuts (leave out for a nut free pesto) + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (add in 1 Tbsp. extra if you are leaving out the nuts)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large lemon, zest + juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a food processor, mix together all of the ingredients, except for the olive oil.
- Pulse until it becomes a thick green, cohesive mixture, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as you go to ensure all is being mixed in evenly.
- Add in the olive oil. Pulse again for 10-15 seconds, allowing it to become thicker, more sauce like. Add in more olive oil if its too dry.
- Reserve in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.