Everyone, yep, you, can make a lobster roll like a pro. With only a handful of ingredients, and, besides the getting all of that meat of the shells, summer’s most popular dish comes together quick. Cooking your own fresh lobster will ensure the meat is tender and as fresh as you can get it, but using high quality ingredients for the sauce are what makes a real lobster roll stand out. They should be light with a fresh, citrusy, and decadent flavor that make you want to keep coming back for more because is summer really summer without these party pleasers?
- 2 large whole lobsters, cooked and meat removed
- 1 Tbsp. bread and butter pickles, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. brine from bread and butter pickles
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. high quality mayonnaise, I like Sir Kensington
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- scallions or green onions, for garnish
- 6 high quality rolls or hot dog buns
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop in one of the lobsters and allow to cook for 8 minutes. Take out and cool. Repeat with second lobster.
- Once cooled, crack and open the tails and claws and scrape out as much meat as possible. Chop meat with a large chef’s knife until even and small pieces, like a chicken salad.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the following ingredients: pickles, pickle juice, lemon juice, cumin, mayo, and garlic. Add in hot sauce if you want to spice it up.
- Combine the meat with the sauce and taste. Season with salt and pepper. If needed, add in more mayo or more lemon juice, depending on if you like it more citrusy or more creamy.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve, preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare the buns
- In a microwave safe dish, combine 2 Tbsp. butter and the roughly chopped garlic. Microwave for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Using a brush, brush the buns on the inside with the melted garlic butter. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Fill each bun with lobster salad and top with the chopped scallions. Serve immediately so the buns don’t get soggy.