I make this meal when I have a little bit of time in the kitchen but don’t want to spend much time actually cooking. Marinate and throw a whole chicken onto the grill or in the oven, throw together a bright and simple salad, and serve immediately. This is simple, fresh, home cooking for even the least experienced home cooks. I love a summer dish that can be used all year round, easily adapted for preferences, and uses ZERO pans.
- 1 whole chicken, approx. 4-5 lb's
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 large lemons, zest + juice
- 2 Tsp. mustard
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- Simple Citrus and Corn Salad
- 3 ears of corn, grilled in husk for 15 minutes
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- basil, for garnish
- Prep the chicken: Place the whole chicken in a large bowl, breast side up. In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, juice, chopped garlic, mustard, oil, and salt. Mix together with a whisk.
- Using your hands, create a large space between the breast meat and the skin, making sure not to break the skin off of the chicken. Carefully spoon the marinade under the skin and rub down into the meat. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 500ºF. Turn off two of the burners, leaving the third one on to maintain the heat between 450 – 500ºF.
- Place the corn on the grill, still in the husk, not over the direct heat. Allow to cook for 15 minutes. Take off and allow to cool. Once cooled, take off the husk.
- Meanwhile, place the marinated chicken in a grill pan. Place onto the grill, not over direct heat. Allow to cook for 45 min., until nicely browned on all sides, and the internal temperature reads 150ºF.
- While the chicken cooks, let’s make the citrus corn salad.
- Cut the corn off of the husk into a medium sized bowl.
- Combine the corn with the halved tomatoes and chopped avocado.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, zest, mustard, and honey.
- Mix the corn salad with the lemon vinaigrette and set aside until chicken is ready.
- Once the chicken is ready, take off the grill, cover with aluminum foil,and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, cut into pieces and place on a platter.
- Pour the salad on and around the chicken.
- Garnish with basil and serve warm or at room temperature.